Brief History of the Building
Jesuits invited to come to Edinburgh by Bishop Gillis.
Opening of the Church. The Architect was Father Richard Vaughan S.J. uncle of the famous Bernard Vaughan: he faced a challenging task.
Earliest recorded gift – the Holyrood Madonna, probably pre-Reformation.
Stations of the Cross executed by Peter Rauth and blessed in 1875.
Further interior decoration.
Architecturally a peak period for design and ornamentation.
Organ installed – modified in 1963 and again in 1974.
Many gifts made to the Church but little has been recorded which is especially sad about the Baptismal font.
More alterations in keeping with the requirements of the post Vatican II era.
Solemn Dedication of the Church.
Renovations to Church structural trusses.
Restoration of north facing wall.
Restoration of Stations of the Cross